Tuesday, October 25, 2011

And in the Daylight I don't pick up my phone, 'cause in the Daylight anywhere feels like home.

So as I was walking home from my super gross and boring evening class, I noticed that the stars were super clear and super pretty.

I literally stopped dead in my tracks and just stared at the sky for a solid 5 minutes.

It was especially awesome because a really serene, peaceful song had just started playing on my iPod.

Anyways, I was standing there looking at the stars and I thought to myself "Man, I wonder how many people have the opportunity to see this right now but are in too much of a rush to actually notice it?"

It seems sad to me how God can put something so incredibly beautiful right next to us and we will ignore it. I mean the night sky on a clear night is breathtaking. Yet most people that read this post probably didn't notice it tonight.

I don't really know where I'm going with this.

I guess what I kinda want to say is that people need to slow down.

I don't mean stop everything you're doing. No, that would be incredibly counter productive.

What I mean is that we should take some time to just enjoy life and enjoy the beauty of nature.

This past summer I went camping with my family in Whitefish, Montana. Our campsite was a 2 minute walk from the lake. I remember waking up in the morning and walking down to the dock. I would sit on the dock and just stare out at the water. It was perfectly still. Every morning. I would just sit there and stare at the beauty of the lake and the mountains and the forest. It was breathtaking.

Thinking back on the trip, I really wish that one of those mornings I had the common sense to grab my parents camera and take a couple pictures of the scene. I guess I didn't care as much about photography as I do now.

Which BTW I LOVE PHOTOGRAPHY! I kinda know what I'm doing now and it's just so much fun. If you ever need pictures taken I'm your man!

Anyways, back to beautiful nature and all its beautiful beauty. I can't wait for winter. I know that sounds crazy but there are certain things I absolutely love about Canadian winters. Obviously there are things I hate. The -40 temperatures, the super awful wind (which is always awful unless you're flying a kite or sailing) and the terrible Calgary drivers becoming even more useless behind the wheel at the first thought of snow. All those things suck.

But winter is a really beautiful time of the year. The snow covers all the dirt and garbage of the city in this beautiful, pure, white blanket. Unfortunately, within 6 hours, so much gravel has been laid down that most of the snow in the city is caked a dull grey or yucky brown.

Which is why I love living in Calgary.We live only a couple of hours away from Banff. I think that Calgarians get so used to the proximity of Banff that we forget how awesome it really is.

I mean at my old house I could walk out onto my back deck, look to the west and see the Rocky Mountains.

We forget that we are incredibly lucky to be leaving so close to somewhere that beautiful.

I guess what I wanna say is that we need to slow ourselves down and look around every once in awhile. There is so much beauty that we miss in our world because we are so focused on one thing that we don't acknowledge anything else.

I think it's kinda sad.

But that could just be me.

Later Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment